When I went down for a research trip in July ’17, I budgeted an extra $30 to see what everyone was talking about regarding FuelRods.
Not going to beat around the bush….it’s a great service!
The FuelRod program debuted in the Walt Disney World resort as a trial offering which saw kiosks show up throughout the property and has since been expanded to include resorts, theme parks and a number of other locations including Disney Springs. This option for guests to charge their mobile devices through convenient placement of kiosks is a program that many guests are participating in.
$30 for the following package:
- A portable charging battery
- 6″ USB Type A to micro-USB cable (for Android devices)
- One Apple 30-pin to USB cable
- One Apple Lightning to USB cable
The Kiosk Locations
- Magic Kingdom
- Tomorrowland Light and Power Co. (Space Mountain)
- Big Top Souvenirs (Storybook Circus)
- Pecos Bill’s (Frontierland)
- Curtain Call Collectibles (Main Street USA)
- Cosmic Rays Starlight Cafe (Tomorrowland)
- Disney Traders (World Showcase)
- International Gateway (World Showcase)
- Camera Center (Future World Breezeway)
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Celebrity 5 & 10 (Hollywood Blvd)
- Rock Around the Shop (Sunset Blvd)
- Pizzerizzo (Muppet Courtyard)
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Island Mercantile
- Disney Springs
- Disney Photopass Studio (Marketplace)
- Sundries (Bus Depot)
- Disney Springs Welcome Center (Town Center)
- ESPN Wide World of Sports
- ESPN Clubhouse Shop
- HP Fieldhouse
- ESPN Wide World of Sports Grill
- Typhoon Lagoon
- Singapore Sal’s
- Blizzard Beach
- Beach Haus
Magic Kingdom Resort Area
- Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort
- South Foyer
- Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
- Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- 2nd Floor Convention Center
Animal Kingdom Resort Area
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Near Phone Bank
- All Star Music
- Note’able Games Arcade
- All Star Movies
- Reel Fun Arcade
- All Star Sports
- Game Point Arcade
- Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort
- Near El Paso
- Near Pepper Market
Wide World of Sports Resort Area
- Pop Century Resort
- Fast Forward Arcade
- Art of Animation Resort
- Pixel Play Arcade
Disney Springs Resort Area
- Port Orleans – Riverside
- Port Orleans – French Quarter
EPCOT Resort Area
- Boardwalk Inn and Villas
- Near Dundy’s Sundries
Why’s it good?
Here’s the catch that provides the real value. When you have depleted your FuelRod, you simply visit a kiosk and you exchange the empty battery for a fully-charged one free-of-charge. The FuelRod is your property, so if you just want to charge it yourself, you can do that as well.
Why’s it bad?
Ok, so there are a number of reasons why folks wouldn’t get a FuelRod.
- Already have an external charger
- Charging stations popping up all over the parks
- Amazon is cheaper for a new charger
Those are all valid responses, and for those who are already set against this program for any of those reasons, then so be it. There’s no reason for me to try to “sell” you on the benefits, right?
How Did I use it?
When I’m in the parks, there’s always something being charged. From my LG G4, iPhone, Camera battery…lots of potential to need a fully-charged piece of technology. I have multiple external batteries, with two 6000 mAh Battery Chargers from Amazon right beside me as I write this article…but once you go through the charge, then you’re just carrying around another piece of technology that you can’t use.
When I was on my research trip, I was able to take photos with my G4 and upload them to social media while charging my iPhone. When my iPhone was at full charge, I was able to charge my G4 while using the My Disney Experience app for FastPass+ reservations and PokemonGo (yea, I’m one of them;)). Once my FuelRod was empty, I’d just ask a Cast Member where the nearest kiosk was and I’d be in and out in moments. There was never a line, and even if folks were buying their own FuelRod, the transaction only took a minute or two.
Yes, the $30 expense is pretty high, but it’s a long term investment for those of us who go on multiple trips to WDW…as it’s not an annual membership or a limited time offer. Once you buy it, you’re good.
The other bonus is when you’re travelling with multiple people, as the battery itself isn’t connected to an account. Anyone can exchange it, so think of it as a fail-safe for your kids or your significant other…because being without a charged phone in the Magic Kingdom when you have to meet your partner for dinner and she’s stuck in line for a FastPass that hasn’t moved. It’s always best to have a back-up.
Oh, and I didn’t even mention the part about the weather in Florida. What happens if your personal battery pack gets wet? Well I know what I’ll do if my FuelRod gets wet…just swap it out.
Should You Get a FuelRod?
It depends on your situation, but I got my money’s worth during a solo trip and will be expecting to get more uses out in the future. Would I buy it again? Absolutely!