Healthy eating is in the eyes of the beholder, especially when you may consider cheese dipping sauce as an essential food group.Eating at Walt Disney World can bring you to either ends of the spectrum, from greasy “theme park food” to fine dining that involves truffles and beets.
My goal for this article is to show you that there are more healthy options throughout the Disney parks than previously thought, even if it involves a little pre-planning and asking for alternatives in a busy quick service restaurant.
How to Eat Healthier at Disney World
GENERAL DINING TIPS
After visiting the parks with my partner, who’s been a vegetarian for years, it’s all about options and ideas that bring together a solid meal without over-doing it. I’ve put together a list about the Top 10 Vegetarian-Friendly Restaurants and the Best Table Service Restaurants for Vegetarian and Meat-Eater Couples just in case you wanted a place to start.
The best advice I can give you would be to call ahead to the different restaurants you’ve gotten reservations for and ask if they can accommodate your diet with what is on the menu. Typically, if you can’t eat what’s on the menu or nothing appeals to you (lets face it, no one wants to have salad at every meal while on vacation!) you can ask if the chef can make you something different. It doesn’t always happen, but it never hurts to ask!
Other than that:
- Skip the Fries
- Eat Breakfast
- Don’t do Dessert
- If you do dessert, get the sugar-free option or fruit
- Salad Dressing on the Side
QUICK SERVICE RECOMMENDATIONS
- Kids Meals are great, and adults can eat them too!
- Substitute the fries for cut fruit, veggies, or salad
- Yogurt Parfait over the Cupcake (sad, I know)
- “v” on the menu means vegetarian-friendly
BEST HEALTHY QUICK SERVICE RESTAURANTS ON PROPERTY
- Satuli Canteen at Animal Kingdom
- Sunshine Seasons at EPCOT
- Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe at Magic Kingdom
- ABC Commissary at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Landscape of Flavors at Art of Animation Resort
Article Continues Below
TABLE SERVICE RECOMMENDATIONS
- Skip the dessert
- Ask for the vegetarian menu
- Buffets allow for the best variety (salads, fresh fruit and different kinds of main courses) and you can have a chef walk you though what best meets your individual diet
BEST HEALTHY TABLE SERVICE RESTAURANTS ON PROPERTY
- Victoria & Alberts at Grand Floridian Resort
- Garden Grill at EPCOT
- Tusker House at Animal Kingdom
- Skipper Canteen at Magic Kingdom
- Splitsville Luxury Lanes at Disney Springs
- Sanaa at Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge
DISNEY RESORT BONUS TIPS
- Resorts with DVC & Suites actually have bread, meats and cheeses (and more) in their stores.
- Check out the resort food courts, as they have healthier options than the theme parks at better quality.
Article Continues Below
- Dole Whip
- Fresh Veggies with Dip
- Fresh Fruit
- Fruit Cups
- Soft Mickey Pretzel (without dipping sauce)
With so many dining options at Walt Disney World, why not take a little bit of time to pre-plan healthier reservations for your party? This is something that’s been evident throughout my theme park career because you never know when a salad or lighter meal can help!
Granted, I’m a fan of bacon with a side of bacon…but I’m trying to be better:)